[Qgis-psc] PayPal is insane

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Aug 25 01:29:04 PDT 2017

On 24-08-17 16:14, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Dear PSC,
>
> I now tried to withdraw money from PayPal to our bank account.
>
> Next to a bad exchange rate (not the interbank rate) they charge 2.5%
> currency conversion fee for a conversion they force me to do, because
> they refuse to send EUR to a Swiss bank account (although all the other
> banks in the world can do that). They also refuse to link a European
> bank account to a Swiss PayPal account. How mad is that?
>
> This means that overall they earn about 10% of our income. This is insane.
>
> Not even a regular bank charges that much!
>
> How I HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PayPAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Andreas,

well, join the club :-) I had my personal share of frustrations already,
and others in the Open Hardware world [0] too.

But seriously, don't let it take over you. Let (others?) investigate for
alternatives, and let's promote these. BUT also keep PayPal on our list
of ways to donate, as (though they ask a lot of money for it) they also
served us very well, given the amount of donations they come in via that
channel.... Apparently it is the easiest amount for the mass of people
(or at least our user group) to do a small donation.

Some wild ideas (you probably already tried):

Isn't it possible to have a dollar or euro account on your Swiss bank?

Can't PayPall sent  EUR to a friendly european bank which then send it
back to you if needed (we do not need all exchanged to Swiss Francs
anyway, do we?).

Or else: try to pay the developers (or people that we subsidize) as much
as possible through PayPal?
And maybe we should user show that 10% of their money is going to
PayPal, and give them alternatives? So at least they know?

Regards, and thanks for all the bean counting work you do!

Regards,

Richard

[0]
http://www.prusaprinters.org/warning-businesses-never-use-paypal-primary-payment-method/