[Qgis-psc] Current financial situation (discussion around QGIS server funding)

Tim Sutton tim at qgis.org
Fri Jul 21 05:48:42 PDT 2017

Hi Andreas

Just a belated 'thanks!' for doing this! I changed the column headers in
'C' and 'H' columns from 'Amount' to 'Budget' - I hope that is ok?

Do you plan to  have a separate line item for the server work to make
things clearer?

Also I wonder if we shouldn't just embed the spreadsheet (and for future
years) directly in the web site? I think as an open project it would be
good to have the finances transparently visible through the year and not
just in our year-end reports?

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Andreas Neumann <andreas at qgis.org> wrote:

> Hi Tim, Brent, all,
>
> During the voting process of QGIS server funding, Brent Wood, voting
> member, asked about the current situation. Of course this is a valid
> request and I should have provided the information upfront.
>
> This document (link below) is the 2017 budget, in a separate column I
> filled in the actual income and expenses (with today's date):
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18gwm83ENnIqNk0Hul-
> OlqggTHU4QeTqA-DvPmX8kK88/edit#gid=0
>
> you probably have to ask for permissions, if you want to access this
> document.
>
> In the very bottom, you can also find the current bank balance.
>
> Note that the QGIS server contribution was not originally in the budget,
> that's why you can't find it there, once we decided - and if positiv, paid,
> I will add it in the actual expenses column.
>
> I do think that the additional investment in QGIS server makes sense,
> because
>
> a) the Essen dev meeting was less expensive than budgeted and we have a
> promise that the FOSSGIS asssocation,  Germany, will support this hackfest
> with 2.5 k € (not received yet)
> b) as it appears, the 16 k € in the 2.18 bug fixing section won't be fully
> exploited (unfortunately the core devs are too busy to work on bug fixing,
> which I do regret because I think more efforts and funds should go into bug
> fixing and QA)
> c) the bank balance on January 1 was € 45'370 - so we have some reserves,
> even if there is a small loss during 2017
> d) it is important to get refactoring and API breaking changes in to 3.0 -
> after that there can't be any API changes for probably 2 years
> e) on the income side we are well on track with >50 % of the estimated
> income already received, esp. regarding the sponsorships
>
> Hope this makes sense - if you have more questions regarding our funds,
> please do ask!
>
> Andreas

> Andreas Neumann
> QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)