[Qgis-psc] Updated financial information

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Tue Apr 10 23:14:06 PDT 2018

Dear PSC,

The accounting document is now up-to-date:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VOt4RFJkJ7LaTAnEGmQ2VB1DZT8Q9Ior-b_uBAVP8YQ/edit#gid=1008844512

For those who don't have much time - you can see the summary: aggregated
numbers in categories in comparison with 2018 budget proposal:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WphBgUOx0abTJ_33jRVqFTkRU7KYrg8GyBLFdkYC2hw/edit#gid=0

Some comments:

   - We spent more on QGIS 3.0 bug fixing than budgeted already. There are
   still so many open problems with QGIS 3.x, if you look into the bug
   tracker. So - Paolo - if you could do the Call for Donations / Sponsorships
   - as discussed in the last meeting - to help finance open issues, it would
   really help!
   - Expenses on dev meetings are generally cheaper than budgeted. F.e. for
   Madeira we budgeted 7k, but only 3.3k are spent so far.
   - There is about 4k additional sponsorship money to be expected in the
   next 1-2 days.
   - One positive surprise: Spreadshirt is generating more income than
   expected
   - One negative issue: training certificates are not doing well. Not a
   single one sold so far.
   - The Packt Publishing royalty scheme is also not generating much income
   at the moment. Seems the QGIS books don't sell so well. We didn't pass the
   tresholds so far on them when they would pay out the royalty money.

Finally an example on how much we loose during a PayPal sponsorship or
donation payment:

Take for example a sponsorship money from Canada (Chartwell Consultants):

They pay 500 €. In our PayPal account, this arrives as 477.65 €. So PayPal
earned 22.35 € (4.5%)  on that single small payment! Later, when this money
is transferred to our bank account, they convert that remaining 477.65 to
CHF and my bank is converting it back to €, because our account runs in €.
All of my attempts to convince PayPal to not do the unnecessary payment
failed so far. In their simple view of the world - there is one single
currency per country - they can't change that view of their world! The
amount that arrives in our bank account after the unnecessary currency
conversion (€ --> CHF --> €) is € 457.35. Again  - PayPal - and our bank -
is earning money during this unnecessary currency conversion. So from 500 €
we loose overall 9.14 percent. Don't you think this is almost a criminal
act from PayPal and our bank? How can it be justified that they earn >9 %
from a single payment?

On the other hand - if this payment was made as a SEPA payment from within
Europe the full amount of 500 € would appear in our bank account. Not a
single cent would be lost.

For me, this is an incentive to a) convince people to uses SEPA payments
(direct bank transfers) where possible and b) move to Stripe for credit
card payments (where necessary - for payments outside of Europe) as quickly
as possible. They don't do the unnecessary currency conversions and their
overall fees are lower. We would loose only 3-4 percent instead of >9.

Thanks and greetings,

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)