[Qgis-psc] Updated financial information

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed Apr 11 02:21:26 PDT 2018

> On 11 Apr 2018, at 08:14, Andreas Neumann <andreas at qgis.org> wrote:
>
> Dear PSC,
>
> The accounting document is now up-to-date:
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VOt4RFJkJ7LaTAnEGmQ2VB1DZT8Q9Ior-b_uBAVP8YQ/edit#gid=1008844512 <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VOt4RFJkJ7LaTAnEGmQ2VB1DZT8Q9Ior-b_uBAVP8YQ/edit#gid=1008844512>
>
> For those who don't have much time - you can see the summary: aggregated numbers in categories in comparison with 2018 budget proposal: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WphBgUOx0abTJ_33jRVqFTkRU7KYrg8GyBLFdkYC2hw/edit#gid=0 <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WphBgUOx0abTJ_33jRVqFTkRU7KYrg8GyBLFdkYC2hw/edit#gid=0>
>
> Some comments:
> We spent more on QGIS 3.0 bug fixing than budgeted already. There are still so many open problems with QGIS 3.x, if you look into the bug tracker. So - Paolo - if you could do the Call for Donations / Sponsorships - as discussed in the last meeting - to help finance open issues, it would really help!
> Expenses on dev meetings are generally cheaper than budgeted. F.e. for Madeira we budgeted 7k, but only 3.3k are spent so far.
> There is about 4k additional sponsorship money to be expected in the next 1-2 days.
> One positive surprise: Spreadshirt is generating more income than expected
> One negative issue: training certificates are not doing well. Not a single one sold so far.

I dont think this is a permanent state of affairs, we have many organisations signed up on the certification page and I expect they will start sending you requests for invoices as they get ramped up. Maybe we should also police them a bit to make sure they are actually following the honour system currently in place...

> The Packt Publishing royalty scheme is also not generating much income at the moment. Seems the QGIS books don't sell so well. We didn't pass the tresholds so far on them when they would pay out the royalty money.
> Finally an example on how much we loose during a PayPal sponsorship or donation payment:
>
> Take for example a sponsorship money from Canada (Chartwell Consultants):
>
> They pay 500 €. In our PayPal account, this arrives as 477.65 €. So PayPal earned 22.35 € (4.5%)  on that single small payment! Later, when this money is transferred to our bank account, they convert that remaining 477.65 to CHF and my bank is converting it back to €, because our account runs in €. All of my attempts to convince PayPal to not do the unnecessary payment failed so far. In their simple view of the world - there is one single currency per country - they can't change that view of their world! The amount that arrives in our bank account after the unnecessary currency conversion (€ --> CHF --> €) is € 457.35. Again  - PayPal - and our bank - is earning money during this unnecessary currency conversion. So from 500 € we loose overall 9.14 percent. Don't you think this is almost a criminal act from PayPal and our bank? How can it be justified that they earn >9 % from a single payment?
>
> On the other hand - if this payment was made as a SEPA payment from within Europe the full amount of 500 € would appear in our bank account. Not a single cent would be lost.
>
> For me, this is an incentive to a) convince people to uses SEPA payments (direct bank transfers) where possible and b) move to Stripe for credit card payments (where necessary - for payments outside of Europe) as quickly as possible. They don't do the unnecessary currency conversions and their overall fees are lower. We would loose only 3-4 percent instead of >9.

Thanks for this summary and boo to the paypal dodgy dealings! Looking forward to getting the stripe stuff done and I hope that will resolve some issues.

> Thanks and greetings,
> Andreas

> Andreas Neumann
> QGIS.ORG <http://qgis.org/> board member (treasurer)