[Qgis-psc] Trademark issues

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Apr 12 01:25:28 PDT 2018

On 12-04-18 10:02, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>     And it is hard to draw a clear line, naming a software suite or courses
>     with *QGIS* in it being done by a company who is active in the
>     community, I tend to be more forgiving then being done by a company who
>     we never see on events or in git.
>
> I would like the PSC to reach a clear decision about using "qgis" in a
> domain name: a few months ago I asked Tim by p.m. if it was a fair use
> to register a domain containing the word "qgis" for a group of people
> that includes at least three core developers and the answer was NO.
>
> If we have a rule it must be valid for everybody.

Off course. And I think rules are (getting more) clear now:

https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/trademark/index.html

Still the problem is not the rules, but the interpretation and
enforcement.... And saying *don't* is a safe and clear answer.

I do not think we can not (technically/legally) tell people to not use
QGIS in domain names. We have to sue everybody? Who will do or pay for that?

Note that 'PSC' is also just a bunch of people trying to run a
community... And we should keep talking and discussing this kind of
things in the community and PSC. And IF *we* think people/companies try
to make advantage of us without bringing something back we have to
engage them. That is what Paolo was proposing.

Regards,

Richard