[Qgis-psc] Trademark issues

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 01:35:31 PDT 2018

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net>
wrote:

> On 12-04-18 10:02, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> >     And it is hard to draw a clear line, naming a software suite or
> courses
> >     with *QGIS* in it being done by a company who is active in the
> >     community, I tend to be more forgiving then being done by a company
> who
> >     we never see on events or in git.
> >
> > I would like the PSC to reach a clear decision about using "qgis" in a
> > domain name: a few months ago I asked Tim by p.m. if it was a fair use
> > to register a domain containing the word "qgis" for a group of people
> > that includes at least three core developers and the answer was NO.
> >
> > If we have a rule it must be valid for everybody.
>
> Off course. And I think rules are (getting more) clear now:
>
> https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/governance/trademark/index.html
>
> Still the problem is not the rules, but the interpretation and
> enforcement.... And saying *don't* is a safe and clear answer.
>
> I do not think we can not (technically/legally) tell people to not use
> QGIS in domain names. We have to sue everybody? Who will do or pay for
> that?
>
> Note that 'PSC' is also just a bunch of people trying to run a
> community... And we should keep talking and discussing this kind of
> things in the community and PSC. And IF *we* think people/companies try
> to make advantage of us without bringing something back we have to
> engage them. That is what Paolo was proposing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Sorry, but this is not yet clear: let's make an example and say that a
group of well known and active QGIS core developers (people who gives back
to the project, correct?) wanted to  create a company named "QGISGURUS
INC." and register a domain named "QGISGURUS.COM".

What would be the official answer?

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it