[Qgis-psc] Migration to Github

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Feb 14 12:29:41 PST 2018

Hi Denis,

The voting was controversial. I know that more people voted for the
Github solution - strictly spoken this would mean that you could go
ahead with migration to github. But the fact that so many people felt
uncomfortable with moving to github - esp. in the light that it hasn't
been shown by a test migration that issue tracking in github is really
feasibly for that many tickets - I think that we shouldn't move to
github yet.

Personally, I don't understand the rush anyway. Shouldn't we concentrate
on the work around releasing QGIS 3 first and then when there are more
resources available - first do a test migration and see if it is
feasible to:

a) keep the history

b) show that tagging as the only way for structuring tickets is really
feasible

Then we can still decide if we want to move to github or not. And
finally, there are concerns that github is not a "free" platform.
Neither Open Source not it was proven that tickets could be exported
from Github properly, if we'd have to.

Please also note that both Richard and Jürgen invested quite a bit of
time to upgrade Redmine and move to its own separate virtual machine.
The current Redmine works both fast and stable and most people did not
complain that it is hard to use. So not really a reason to rush away
from Redmine.

Greetings,

Andreas