[Qgis-psc] Migration to Github

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Thu Feb 15 08:59:29 PST 2018

Hi Denis,

On Thu, 15. Feb 2018 at 15:05:14 +0000, Denis Rouzaud wrote:
> On practical points, proof of concept was achieved by Matthias (and some
> others) and showed all of this is possible except attributing comments to
> the original author...bummer ;).

News to me.  The migration didn't go though - I thought Matthias had given up
on the migration, because he was uncertain that we'd go through with it and it
might end up as a waste of energy.  And his target was not to do a full
migration - IIRC.

I tried a full migration - and ran into obstacles from github (eg. throtteling)
and had doubts about mapping all what we have in redmine to tags in github -
and how useable it would be which such a large number of issues and/or tags as
ours.

Richard tried again later and also gave up.

Attributing comments to the original author was just one thing that couldn't be
done at all.

We finally settled to upgrade and move redmine to a faster machine - and that
was that.

And when this was brought up again, we didn't talk about the implementation
(ie. how we map the trac/redmine ticket numbers to github issues - our commit
messages reference the tickets).

And then there was this sudden vote...

> (because, damn, it's not integrated with the source code!).

Of course it is linked to the source code.  It's just not linked to github,
because github doesn't allow us to - otherwise we'd just address PRs and issues
differently and let one point to github and the other to redmine.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de