[Qgis-psc] Call for possible vote on change to official plugin repo policy?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Feb 20 23:01:31 PST 2018

Hi Nyall,

Il 21/02/2018 06:55, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
> On 19 February 2018 at 17:46, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

>> I fully understand and support your concerns. Why not simply deprecating
>> these plugin? I have adopted this approach (much too rarely, trying not
>> to hurt authors too much) in the past, and I found it simple and
>> effective. Once issues are fixed, I simply remove the `deprecated` flag,
>> et voilĂ .
>> Not sure we need a vote for this, just establishing sensible guidelines
>> should be enough.
>
> That sounds like a good technical solution.

so, we agree that simply deprecating a plugin is the way to go, right?

> But (like others have raised) I think we need a clear policy here so
> that there's no misunderstanding or developers feeling like they're
> "targeted". That's why I think we need a strong policy, voted in by
> the voting community, so that there's NO chance that anyone can claim
> that this is being abused.

as plugin manager, I'd appreciate this enormously; I wish there was a
clear policy, with no room for interpretation. Having >= 1 ticket marked
as critical could be one, but this just moves decisions one step ahead.
Do you have a practic proposal?

> What's the next step here? I'd very much like to see this continue
> moving forward promptly.

IMHO we can agree on a solution without the need for a vote. In any
case, I'm sure PSC could ratify any sensible decision that comes out of
this discussion.

All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu