[Qgis-psc] Successful QGIS Grant Proposals

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 14:07:43 PST 2018

Hi Tim

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 9:21 PM, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:

> As recipients of last year’s grant proposals, could I ask you all to
> submit a short (1 paragraph with a screen shot if appropriate) summary of
> the status of your grant work. We will compile all the reports into a blog
> article for http://blog.qgis.org.

QGIS 3D

The work on 3D support in QGIS has been successfully finished and the
results will be included in the QGIS 3.0 release. As proposed in the grant,
a new 3D map view has been added together with GUI for easy configuration
of 3D rendering. The 3D view displays terrain (either from a DEM raster
layer or a simple flat area) with 2D map rendered on top of the terrain. In
addition to that, vector layers can be rendered as true 3D entities: points
may be visualized as simple geometric shapes or as 3D models (loaded from a
file), polygons and linestrings are tessellated into 3D geometries. 2D
polygons can be turned into 3D objects using extrusion, possibly with
data-defined height - an easy way how to display buildings, for example.
Data with 3D coordinates have the Z values in geometries respected.
Although the 3D view is still in its early stages, it is already usable for
many use cases. Hopefully this functionality will help to attract even more
users to QGIS!

More details: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/105

Screenshots:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGD0bkSXoAAtkhM.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL4iQqeW0AIsXit.jpg:large
(+ there are various other beautiful screenshots / screencasts of 3D view
from others on Twitter)

Many thanks again to QGIS.org for running the grant programme and to all
sponsors/donors that have made the grant programme possible!

Regards
Martin