[Qgis-psc] Bad news: negative reply from Zurich tax office

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jan 29 22:53:21 PST 2018

Hi all,

Thanks all for the encouragement and ideas and links to how others dealt
with similar issues.

I am now digging more into the issue. Even if we are not tax exempt, it
means that we don't have to pay taxes on donations, because there is no
direct service in return from QGIS.ORG. The same holds true for
sponsoring - if - and this would mean a change of our practice - we
don't do advertising for the sponsors. I dived into the VAT law, and it
mentions that a simple listing of sponsors is ok, also with their
location and logo. However, we wouldn't be allowed to mention what the
sposor does (e.g. company active in area xy) and we wouldn't be allowed
to link to the sponsors web page. Linking to a sponsors web page counts
as advertising.

See also
https://www.gate.estv.admin.ch/mwst-webpublikationen/public/pages/taxInfos/cipherDisplay.xhtml?publicationId=1000283&componentId=1000543&lang=de&winid=520820
(german, but also available in french or italian).

So what would it mean for us? If we remove the links to the sponsors web
pages from https://www.qgis.org/en/site/about/sponsorship.html and the
visual changelogs (e.g.
https://www.qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog218/index.html#sponsors-for-qgis-version-2-18-0)
then we don't have to pay taxes on the sponsorships either. Would this
be acceptable? Note that this is only a problem for commercial sponsors
- local government organizations or non-profit donors can be linked.
However, if we decide to remove the URLs, I think we should better
remove them from all sponsors.

Most likely, this will make sponsoring a bit less attractive to our
"commercial" sponsors, but maybe it isn't a problem to many of them. On
the plus side, this would probably mean that we wouldn't be contacted by
dubious organizations/companies who only want visibility/URL exchange
are aren't involved in the spatial domain.

I will also do a phone call today to the person involved at the tax
office to double check if my findings above are true.

Given that our income depends  to > 95% on donations and sponsorships
and if we don't do advertising for the sponsors, it would probably mean
that taxes only have to be paid for our training certificates. This
would be marginal and not a problem.

Opinions?

Greetings,

Andreas