[Qgis-psc] On Stripe and PayPal

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Jun 21 02:57:41 PDT 2018

Hi Andreas,

Inline some comments

On 21-06-18 10:49, Andreas Neumann wrote:

... snip
> First - again a big thanks to all who helped integrating Stripe (or
> recommending it in the first place) - thanks Richard, Tim, Jürgen and
> Strk (who also recommended using Stripe). Also, thanks for implementing
> the receipts by e-mail and integration with our donors list, Richard!

Well... automation.. to be done :-)
I'll try to reuse Juergen's script.

... snip> The only slight drawback with the current stripe integration
is that we
> don't have a free form to enter any amount, the user wants - or maybe
> better - any amount larger than 10 €. While this is, at one hand, a good
> thing (minimum amount is at 10 € and people are more unlikely to use
> such an amount for illegal testing of stolen credit cards), some people
> might want to donate a larger (or in between amount).

Well, it is a dropdown, so I can add as many currencies and values as
you want, see:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Stripe/blob/master/striped/templates/stripeform.html#L50

One reason to decide for a dropdown, is that you have to add a number in
cents AND I have to know the currency...

So doing a freeform would have 2 inputs: a dropdown for currency and an
INPUT element for the numbers. And those numbers... well they give me
'Locale' headaches as some prefer to say 1.000 some do 1,000  and what
about 100.000... what is it
So the dropdown is just my laziness :-)
Wanted to add other currencies though (like Japanese or Chinese...), and
as said happy to add other values..
But also as we pay a percentage of the money as fee, I prefered to keep
250 as max (that is already 2-3 beers for Stripe). If people want bigger
amounts: let them pay by bank or become a sponsor.

But, just let me know how to proceed, or do a pull request I can test...

> The other very minor usability issue I can see with the Stripe payment
> form inside
> https://www.qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/donations.html#qgis-donations
> is that there is a frame (with rounded corners) around "Name", "E-Mail"
> and the amount combobox,but no frame around the credit card fields (Card
> number, expiry date and CVC). I think it would be nicer if those three
> credit card widgets would also have the same frame like the other fields.

Yeah, that 'stripe' / line is the actual magic of Stripe, that flies in
automagically and is a little harder to style. But I will try harder.
Also note that these inputs are not 'normal' inputs, they change color
(aka changing style) if you try to add a non valid inputs (try 01/99 as
expiry, or a non valid Creditcard number. This is all Stripe
handling/checking these values.

> What do people think about removing PayPal from our donations options
> (not closing the account, but just remove it from the options)? Would
> people miss it, or would we miss out on donations? We can also postpone
> this decision for a couple months, but more incentive for people to use
> Stripe instead of PayPal would be nice.

I'm -1 to removing PayPal (though I really hate their services and
costs). When you do not have a Creditcard, it is just the easiest way to
transform some money internationally...

We can try to make it even more clear that we REALLY do not like
PayPal... just give me better wording or ideas, or a PR :-)

Currently our 'paypal' landing page looks like the one attached. We
could try to remove the 'Donate with a Debit or Credit Card' button? So
only PayPal -> PayPal is allowed?
We could also misuse the line 'Purpose' to let other know we really like
Strip payments for creditcards...

And another idea: I would be happy to be paid via PayPal in dollars for
some work I do (so no currency changes), maybe others are too? I use it
to buy small electronics in China :-)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde