[Qgis-psc] Trademark and subdomain

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Tue Nov 20 01:31:45 PST 2018

Hi PSC,

We recently opened a subsite on our website concerning our activities
around QGIS : qgis.oslandia.com

I just wanted to double-check that there would be no problem in using
"qgis" in a subdomain name.

I already checked with our IP lawyer, who said that as soon as there is
no misunderstanding possible between the original trademark and the
content publisher, there is no problem using the trademark word in a URL.

This is clearly the case here, as the domain name is oslandia.com and
the content is explicit. We would never claim the work of the community
as our own.

Note also that Boundless has been using qgis.boundlessgeo.com for a while.

I asked the same question on the mailing list in April, and had no
specific feedback.

Should anyone be disturbed by this, please raise your voice and I am
here to talk about it.

Best regards,
Vincent