[Qgis-psc] Discussion around changing sponsors to members in QGIS.ORG

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Fri Nov 23 09:51:19 PST 2018

Hello Andreas,

The reasons you push forward seem to be good reasons to transform
sponsorship into membership.

However, it seems really important to me that QGIS.ORG stays totally
independent.
And giving money to the organization should not have any impact on any
decision taken by QGIS.org.
Giving back visibility to the members is good, giving voting rights is a
really big NO from me, and I would be against even small advantages like
choosing a bug to fix.
Note that in France, for membership and sponsoring of associations,
there are clear limitations of what you are allowed to do in terms of
counterparts. Non-complying associations are considered as service
providers and fall into different status and fiscal conditions. I don't
know for Switzerland, but it may be worth a look.

Having non-voting members is common in associations and I do not see it
as a problem.

That would be a +1 for me, under conditions.

Best regards, have a nice weekend,
Vincent