[Qgis-psc] Notes about certification

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Sep 11 00:34:44 PDT 2018

On 2018-09-11 09:08, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:

> We probably agree that releasing source code is a good thing.  Why is
> this any
> different?  Just wondering.

For one thing: if you add a bunch of source code, you add a (small or
big) piece to the whole object.

If we ask people to release the course material, you ask them to release
(a lot of work), which is (hopefully) a full consistent/coherent set of
data, syllabi, notes and maybe even presentations. This (to me) makes it
just too easy to "just take and use" for leechers. You cannot do that
with code, code you can only reuse parts of.

But that said, I'm very much in favour of a QGIS training-project! Where
people work together (just like on code) to create a coherent set of
training material.

As I proposed, I would be ok if applying organisations had to handover
their material to psc/usergroup/training-team, but making it fully
public is a bridge too far I think.

We could have a team though which could maybe reuse the material to work
on the QGIS-training project? So do not make it fully public.

I agree that 'giving back to the project' is important, and having
public training material is a good thing.

Regards,

Richard