[Qgis-psc] PyQgis Cookbook revision

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 02:26:18 PST 2019

Hi Ale,

Sorry for not being clear.

Le jeu. 19 déc. 2019 à 16:59, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 4:41 PM Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was wondering if the cookbook could be integrated with the API docs
>> website.
>> It would be nice, we could test everything there (it uses the QGIS docker
>> images), and it would have a single coherente endpoint.
>>
>> Ale, feel free to get in touch :)
>>
>> Denis
>>

> Hi Denis,
>
> Do you you mean adding the cookbook directly in the C++ class headers?
> Like
> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/server/qgsserverogcapi.h#L33
> ?
>
> This is what QT does, right?
>
> If that's the case, I've thought about it and there are certainly some
> advantages: the most important one would probably be a unique source for
> code, API docs, PyQgis API docs and PyQgis recipes (the cookbook).
> I'm not against it, but I'm not really sure it's the best option: I see
> the cookbook more like a "book", where there might be more space for longer
> paragraphs, pictures etc. and where the content can be organized
> independently from the Qgs* classes structure.
>
> There are also sections in the cookbook that span across classes (the
> snippets mainly) or that do not really map to a single Qgs class.

Yeah, I'm totally with you here. While it sounds like a clever idea at
first, you hit so many issues like this which will just make the work much
harder at the end.

> In any event, the cookbook also uses a QGIS docker image for the python
> code tests (qgis/qgis:latest).
>
> But maybe I totally misunderstood your proposal and you are just talking
> about moving the current cookbook content into another repo or suck it up
> when building PyQGIS API docs.

Yes, I have 2 points:
* Build the API docs and the cookbook in the same job (but I don't care
that much if not)
* Bring the cookbook under the same website as qgis.org/pyqgis so we have a
single entry for all python related stuff.

Cheers
Denis