[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mac OS packaging and infrastructure

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Feb 20 11:55:26 PST 2019

Hi Saber,

Thanks for all this work!

tldr; WHO WANTS TO DO IT :-)

Though the 600 / year is probably ok for PSC, I think we really need a
maintainer who wants(! aka really needs) to maintain the server + build
process. I'm not an Apple owner so I pass.

Off course it could be a chicken/egg problem, but as everything in
Apple-land costs money (developing (licenses to get the software),
certificates, building infrastructure etc) would it not be a better fit
if a company tries to do this (preferably(?) in a profitable way)?

Also because this is a re-occurring issue: some people try to create a
package (Kynchaos did, Larry did, Matthias did, now lutra did) in their
favorite apple build tool chain/form, then loose interest/time (no
offence meant here!) and we are at zero again. Though to be honest I
think every time the result is better :-)

Last: would it not be cheaper to buy an Apple Mac mini (900 dollar),
build locally and then upload to one of our download sources? Or let a
good Apple user hang it to the interwebs?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde