[Qgis-psc] QGIS in Africa

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Fri Jul 12 00:04:17 PDT 2019

Tanzania would be good. It is a neighbor country.

The reason why the GIS Africa conference is in Rwanda is that one of the
former ESRI Switzerland CEO (Kaspar Kundert) now lives in Rwanda (for some
years already) and build the ESRI Rwanda subsidiary. He was probably one of
the main organizers and is on the committee of the GIS Africa conference.
There is certainly some large involvement by ESRI in this conference.

Andreas

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 at 08:33, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On 12/07/19 07:55, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If we think that a presence of QGIS is valuable at this (or similar)
> > events, I would prefer to send people who are - either local - or want
> > to combine it with some holidays.
> >
> > I am against flying around the world to events with questionable
> > benefits/results for us. People fly way too much - and we geo people
> > should act more responsibly. We know about the global threats to this
> > planet - and we can't close our eyes and say - oh no climage change is
> > for real, but no - I am not the one that has to act responsibly. Others
> > should do that for me ...
>
> agreed. also remote videoconferencing can be of help here, even though I
> I'm still sure personal contact is far more effective in motivating people.
>
> > Do we have local QGIS users in Rwanda or neighbour countries?
>
> not that I know of - I have someone in TZ, but Tim will probably know more.
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
> QGIS.ORG Chair: