[Qgis-psc] 2019 grant voting is closed

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 00:23:01 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 5:04 PM Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
> I respectfully disagree with your view: qgis-server is an increasingly
> important part of our ecosystem. Compared to any other solution, it has
> the crucial advantage of allowing very complex and sophisticated styling
> to be brought to the web, thus acting as a WYSIWYG webgis.
> I do not see a conflict between server and desktop here: it is true that
> our resources are limited, but improving one expands the possibilities
> also for the other, so it's more of a synergy than a competition.
> Thanks for your thoughts.
> All the best.

I'm with Paolo here, QGIS Server has gained maturity and stability over the
years, thanks to the commitment and the efforts of many individual
developers and companies.

We are non facing new challenges, like the new OGC API (WFS3) [1] and as
was already mentioned,  QGIS Desktop can benefit from development efforts
on the server (in fact one of the server's grant proposals would have had a
strong impact on the desktop too).

A possible solution, that we should consider for the future grants, is to
allocate a small amount to the server proposals, this way it would be
easier to guarantee that at least some proposals can be funded.

Thank you for this interesting discussion!

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/10016

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it