[Qgis-psc] Financial warning

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 15:01:22 PST 2019

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 at 03:30, Jonathan Moules
<jonathan-lists at lightpear.com> wrote:

>  > - what would be a fair amount how to distribute the money between
> devs/companies and who would decide?
> Maybe having some sort of auction process where the lowest bids get the
> work.

Just to add my 2c to the existing replies:

Currently the bulk of QGIS development work is handled by a handful of
commercial organisations. We're very fortunate in the QGIS project
that although these organisations are in some ways competitors, there
is still a great spirit of cooperation and collaboration between them
all. Requiring a process like a reverse auction sounds very aggressive
and competitive to me, and risks harming this cooperative spirit (to
*everyone's* detriment).

The other reality is that all developers/organisations participating
in the funded bug fixes are running at something like 3:1 unpaid vs
paid bug fixing. When you factor this in, the rate is actually a
bargain! (not to mention that you're getting the efforts of THE qgis
code experts, and the few people who can smash out bug fixes at a
speed 100x of those not intimately aware of the guts of the codebase).

I think, as others have said, the ideal solution would be getting more
publicity out about the benefits of sponsoring the project and the
return on investment received. I personally think the most logical
next step here would be to implement
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/102 so that
we have a direct marketing channel to ALL our users, in order to
publicise efforts like this.

Nyall