[Qgis-psc] QGIS Plugin website application maintenance

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 02:00:35 PDT 2019

Hello,

As you all know, I originally wrote the plugin management Django
application that runs on plugins.qgis.org.

I maintained the application for quite some time but after the HF in Girona
I clearly stated and told anybody that I did want to focus on QGIS C++
development and I did not want to maintain the web application anymore.

Despite that, I've been occasionally asked (last time it happened one week
ago) to make small changes, which I did.

Please notice that the application has been running fine for the last 8
years without major updates (which is quite surprising for a web
application) and there is no urgent need for upgrades.

Now I've got an email from Richard mentioning problems migrating to a new
server (because the plugin application is 8 years old and we need to
upgrade a lot of dependencies).

Let me state it clear: Richard did not directly ask for my help, but I felt
kind of obliged to step in and help (I can only blame myself for that).

So, long story short: I'm currently working on the port of the plugins
application to Django 2 and Python 3  (note: only the plugins, I'm not
going to work on the other apps). This port will take quite some time
(probably days).

Once this is completed, please find another maintainer because I do not
want to spend my limited volunteer time on that task.

Thanks for your understanding.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it