[Qgis-psc] Usage of official Facebook account

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 19:30:44 PDT 2019

Hi PSC,

I wanted to kickstart some discussion regarding the official QGIS
Facebook accounts.

We've got some 28k+ likes on the QGIS official Facebook page, yet the
page is hardly utilised. That's a considerable audience that we're not
capitalizing on -- and it's a different audience to that which we
reach via the standard mailing lists and Twitter account (for
reference, the QGIS Twitter account is quite active).

Recently we reached out to Nathan to ask if he could reshare some
notifications about North Road's current Layout plotting crowdfunding.
He offered admin access to Maryanne (North Road's marketing guru) to
allow her to resurrect the account and start pushing content on it.

We've had a quick chat about this, and while Maryanne is more than
happy to take over the account and use it to reshare QGIS discussions
which occur on Facebook/mirror Twitter announcements/etc, we don't
want there to be any conflict of interest here if she uses it to post
commercial content (e.g. advertising crowd funding campaigns, whether
they are North Road related or not).

Obviously if someone impartial from the community wants to take over
this account and actively utilise it then that's great... but if
no-one is interested in doing this, is it OK if Maryanne gets access
rights AND can we have official approval that sharing commercial
content via the channel is acceptable?*

Nyall

* again, I'm referring to notices about campaigns from ALL commercial
organisations, not solely North Road