[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mac OS packaging and infrastructure

Luigi Pirelli luipir at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 09:08:52 PDT 2019

I'm not in general in favor of fees on a free (as freedom) project, but in
win or linux env, we do not have to pay Apple to sign the application of
buy a dedicated hardware to perform CI! (revolutionary tax)
I'm in favor of a fee considering the fact that OSX (not mac) users didn't
want to crowdfund the packaging of support OSX costs for CI (mostly US
market). In Win env (now) there is a good dev community that can compile
and help build documentation and debug. The only effort on OSX package is
lutra's contribution (AFAIK) => there is no a fair balance!
IMHO spend project funds to a packaging process that nor their user want to
support is like continuing to give support to QGIS package for Win XP that
is no supported nor by M$.

More, with Apple moving more to an entertainment company we should consider
it carefully... IMHO project funds for a packaging that are strictly
dependent to commercial decisions is too risky! (remember all harware lost
changing apple powerPC to intel processors 10 years ago).

my2c

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition: