[Qgis-psc] QGIS for Mac OS packaging and infrastructure

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 17:34:02 PDT 2019

Can we split out the conversation here for discussion of the Mac OS
packaging alone, and move discussion of Richard's resignation (which
I'm still gutted about) to a new topic?

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 at 17:43, Peter Petrik
<peter.petrik at lutraconsulting.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear PSC,
>

> I have never had an idea to sell QGIS Mac Packages commercially, since I believe the QGIS should be easy and free to install on every platform. The packages Lutra created are based on many hours of work on QGIS, homebrew, homebrew-osgeo, etc. We took the effort to improve Mac packages because we felt it is a request from the user community. Smaller part of the work was funded by crowdfunding and by our client, but I have contributed weeks of work outside the scope of funded work. I will definitely continue to contribute to QGIS project and/or packaging  in unpaid time, but clearly we would probably not have a full free month to do packaging and I wanted to put it clear that without any decision from PSC our small Mac packaging exercise may be left unmaintained in ½ year time.

I'd like to raise the question of whether, finances aside, anyone is
opposed to the move toward's Lutra's git/script based Mac OS packaging
approach?

I think it'd be good to first determine whether there's support for
this approach upfront. I suspect part of the conflict here is that
we're mixing up 3 different conversations at once: 1 Lutra's request
for finances, 2 whether the project should "officially" support
Lutra's or William's packaging efforts, and 3 the wider question about
commercial v volunteer development.

Paolo has already nicely split 3 off into it's own topic for
discussion, and 1 really depends on the outcome of 2.

Nyall