[Qgis-psc] Discussion our financial situation

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Nov 14 04:36:51 PST 2019

On jeudi 14 novembre 2019 13:03:01 CET Luigi Pirelli wrote:
> christmas bug-fix compain... as a community gift (well... it's not a real
> gift more than a tax workaround) but it woks as marketing campaigns.
>
> BTW I would prefer to invest in windows CI or infrastructure.

One option to perhaps consider for a vendor-hosted Windows CI could be Azure Pipelines.

From
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/agents/hosted?view=azure-devops#capabilities-and-limitations
"""
Provide at least 10 GB of storage for your source and build outputs.
Provide a free tier:
    Public project: 10 free Microsoft-hosted parallel jobs that can run for up to 360 minutes (6 hours) each time, with no overall time limit per month. Contact us to get your free tier limits increased.
[...]
Run on Microsoft Azure general purpose virtual machines Standard_DS2_v2
"""

The config of the VM is at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/sizes-general#dsv2-series

Standard_DS2_v2
vCPU = 2
Memory = 7 GiB
SSD = 14 GiB

The number of vCPU might be the limiting factor for QGIS. Perhaps they would be open
to provide a more powerful config.

I've very limited personal experience with it. We use it on GDAL for the generation of our
documentation from .rst, so nothing really demanding.

PDAL uses it for their Linux, Mac and Windows builds

Windows build script:
https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/blob/master/scripts/azp/win.yml

Example of a run of a build:
https://dev.azure.com/hobuinc/PDAL/_build/results?buildId=687&view=logs
14 minutes for the Linux build
20 minutes for the Windows build
11 minutes for the Mac build

Just food for thought. I've no Microsoft shares :-)

Even

http://www.spatialys.com