[Qgis-psc] Discussion our financial situation

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Nov 14 04:49:47 PST 2019

Hi,

Yes - we need a relatively quick decision. Grant proposal usually take
longer to process.

My suggestion: let's discuss this at next week's PSC meeting. Now that
we have 2-3 good proposals, we have a good ground for discussions.

I am sorry that I come late with this - but earlier, the situation was
way too unclear and impossible to project our funds until the year's
end. It is still a bit vague. Maybe at the end it will be 12 or 18k that
we have available.

As to taxes:

We can make up to 10k CHF profit per year (approx. 9.2k EUR) without
having to pay taxes on that income, but if we go beyond it, a
significant amount of the income will be taxes. There might be a way to
accumulate such excess income as allowings (Rückstellungen) for expected
extra expenses - but when I read the tax documents, this is mainly about
"things", like buying a car, IT hardware, investing into buildings,
repairs or replacements of things we need, etc. Our "digital nature" of
our association doesn't fit that schema very well ;-)

The tax is 8% on the revenues (if we go beyond 10k revenues). So if our
revenue is 12k CHF, we'd pay 960 CHF taxes (I'd like to avoid that). The
tax on financial assets (our amount on the account on Dec 31) is 0.75
per mille - so negligible.

I will have to investigate if the loss from last year that we had, can
be taken into account for this year, thus decreasing our revenues, but
it isn't yet clear to me.

Now that I read the documents from the tax office again - the tax
declaration for this year will be different anyway. I just read that
membership payments (our sustaining memberships) are not regarded as
part of the revenues (that accounts for more than 50% of our income). I
just learned that minutes ago. Actually, that's quite good for us, but
it will make accounting a bit more complicated.

I'll try to summarize the situation until PSC meeting next week.

Greetings,

Andreas