[Qgis-psc] QGIS licence (was: QGIS on iOS was QGIS for Mobile (Android))

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Oct 16 22:42:45 PDT 2019

Hi all,

On 17/10/19 00:42, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> Perhaps it's time to revisit the discussion about LOOKING INTO whether
> a relicense of QGIS is possible and/or desirable? The discussion last
> time got emotional and was dismissed far too quickly. I still think
> it's possible to DISCUSS this topic in a calm, cooperative way to at
> least assess whether it would be a theoretically worthwhile move...

no need to be emotional on this, fully agreed.
So if I if I understand it correctly you are suggesting to move to a
BSD-like licence or an LGPL for part of it? Besides personal preferences
and priorities, I believe this would be technically very difficult. We
tried many years ago the same for GRASS, and it proved impossible,
especially because of the code from developers disappeared form the radar.
I should add that I'm hearing since years rumors of the type "it's free
for now, be sure that when it will be very good you'll have to pay for
it". I think that discussing about this will give credit to these
rumors, and spread FUD around the project, so we have to be extra careful.
I suggest discussing this in the next PSC.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: