[Qgis-psc] News feed

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Oct 31 01:49:12 PDT 2019

Hi

On 10/31/19 9:31 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Il 31/10/19 06:28, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>> On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 16:14, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> AFAIK we don't have a clear policy about the news feed. I propose to
>>> accept only:
>>> 1. global Contributors Meetings announcements (not local ones)
>>> 2. global QGIS Days (not local ones)
>>> 3. requests for sponsorship
>>> 4. crowdfunding announcements
>> what about:
>>
>> 5. callouts for testing of upcoming qgis releases
> +1
>
>> 6. new release announcements when changelog is published
> +1, at the same time removing the small banner advertising when a new
> version is available

I think these are two distinct things, the banner is conditional (did
you know there's an update which you have not installed yet?) the banner
is an announcement (and also visible if you already updated).

>> and, maybe more controversial
>>
>> 7. occasional tips and tricks articles?
> I see your point, and I agree it can be controversial. Let's skip it for
> now, and add it later if appropriate, when we'll have feedback from users.

One point I like about this is that it adds some easy to digest and
interesting points for the users. Compared to the otherwise often "we
want something from you" (crowdfunding, testing, ...) topics.

This will probably make the news panel more likeable for users.

No hurry though, just a thought.

Matthias