[Qgis-psc] News feed

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Oct 31 03:14:51 PDT 2019

Hi,

On 10/31/19 11:05 AM, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> I wouldn't take it down. Let's show users some activity (it will
> disappear anyway in 2 weeks when the event is gone). They can easily
> ignore it, if they are not interested.

I would feel irritated if some software would show me news in Finnish.
But I'll leave that to the PSC.

> Meanwhile: let's try to implement a way to get access to the user
> location (coordinate or country). The server seems ready for
> geofencing, but QGIS as a client not.
>
> What I don't understand: the QGIS news panel is technically a
> web-browser - right? A web-browser send and IP and an IP can be
> geolocalized by some external services (with some uncertainty of
> course). Something along the lines of
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/ref/contrib/gis/geoip/ - Would
> this be possible?

Not even necessarily an external service only, there is also
https://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/geoip2/geolite2/ , a local database which
can be used to map ips to locations. This could be done server side
only, whenever the client doesn't send a specific location.

Regarding dismiss/updating of entries, I currently see two different
entries, one seems to be cached from an older release. Do we have a
possibility to force-delete the first one from clients that already
downloaded it? Or instead of deleting and recreating an entry if it
contains wrong information to force-update an existing one?

Matthias