[Qgis-psc] News feed

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Thu Oct 31 03:05:44 PDT 2019

Hi Marco,

I wouldn't take it down. Let's show users some activity (it will disappear
anyway in 2 weeks when the event is gone). They can easily ignore it, if
they are not interested.

Meanwhile: let's try to implement a way to get access to the user location
(coordinate or country). The server seems ready for geofencing, but QGIS as
a client not.

What I don't understand: the QGIS news panel is technically a web-browser -
right? A web-browser send and IP and an IP can be geolocalized by some
external services (with some uncertainty of course). Something along the
lines of https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.10/ref/contrib/gis/geoip/ -
Would this be possible?

Andreas