[Qgis-psc] AGM: plugins vote

Marco Bernasocchi marco at qgis.org
Fri Apr 10 08:16:49 PDT 2020

Hi Richard

Private hat on :)

On 10.04.20 15:59, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> On 4/10/20 1:07 PM, Saber Razmjooei wrote:
>> On a separate but related note, the current vision of the PSC appears to
>> be turning to an ideology instead focusing on QGIS.
> Hi Saber,
>
> But isn't/shouldn't FOSS be some kind of ideology?

I think it is very personal, I personally see FOSS as a very socially
responsible way to develop software and that is why at OPENGIS.ch about
95% of what we do lands in an open repo.

But to me the main point is that writing opensource code is a
technologically better way to develop software.

> At least to me it always has been: FOSS/QGIS is (was to me) a way of
> living in which I try to be as independent as possible. Learning from
> each other in a friendly environment etc etc. FOSS to me is all about
> freedom!
>
> And in every group/community/business/church you have pragmatics and
> ideologists. I think we should respect both.

Absolutely, the important point being that nobody should dismiss the
other side. I think that our community is thriving because we've always
had a very balanced and pragmatic approach. If we are honest probably
99% of our users work/use daily a proprietary tool and whenever we are
dismissive of it, we relegate them to some kind of second class status.

The fact is that most users are seeking QGIS' value proposition and not
an ideology. As you say, our focus should be to allow both to happily
and respectfully coexist.

> My gut-feeling is that QGIS has to find a mode in which 'corporate'
> influences coexists in a friendly way with the 'ideal(ogy)ists' (or
> hobbyists?)...
>
> Current (small) business trying to earn a living on QGIS, would never
> have been here without standing on the shoulders of the (mostly?)
> idealists from some time ago.
Or maybe they have been investing a lot in QGIS and also thanks to those
businesses QGIS is now where it is?
> But, this is my personal experience. And one of the reasons I have mixed
> feelings about the discussions around 'changing licenses', 'buying
> certificates', 'appearing in closed app stores', 'using freemiums' etc
> etc etc (and the reason I stepped away from PSC)

Now you make sound like the PSC is trying to do all those things, pleas
lets not confuse things:

- buying certificates is a *voluntary* way to financially contribute to
the project that allows the teachers earn.

- using fremiums: sorry I can't argue anything here since I'm unaware of
what you are referring to

- appearing in closed app stores: True, in the PSC we've discussed how
we could possibly allow 30-40% of the mobile world to enjoy the various
great app that derived form QGIS

- changing licenses: this is a bit of an extrapolation, the original
discussion in the PSC was about adding a distribution exception to allow
distribution on stores. Suggestions to also looking into changing the
license to a more permissive one came from community members.

> I've been thinking about a mixed mode for a long time already. And it is
> hard, with not so much successful role models...
>
> In my personal opinion a FOSS project should stay a non corporate
> community. The business itself should stay outside of the project (in my
> opinion). Individuals from the corporate side off course are welcome!!!
> And corporations should be able to make money WITH the project but not
> FROM the project; they should *use* not *own* it.
I fail to see how anybody might own QGIS. And as I mentioned above, if
all the companies that invest in QGIS would not have done that, QGIS
would not be where it is now.
How do you mean making money FROM the project?

> And let me state: I'm a dreamer, one which is maybe a little privileged
> because living in a civilized and rich country, so I AM able to dream.
> So please, don't be offended by my words, maybe I'm just ignorant...
>
> Anyway: let's stay friendly, we all need each other :-)
but still at least with 2m from each other :) such a pity not seeing
everyone till next spring :(

> (And... QGIS is doing very well!!!)
Heck yes, we are complaining at high level :)

ciao

Marco