[Qgis-psc] AGM: plugins vote

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Apr 10 06:59:17 PDT 2020

On 4/10/20 1:07 PM, Saber Razmjooei wrote:
> On a separate but related note, the current vision of the PSC appears to
> be turning to an ideology instead focusing on QGIS.

Hi Saber,

But isn't/shouldn't FOSS be some kind of ideology?

At least to me it always has been: FOSS/QGIS is (was to me) a way of
living in which I try to be as independent as possible. Learning from
each other in a friendly environment etc etc. FOSS to me is all about
freedom!

And in every group/community/business/church you have pragmatics and
ideologists. I think we should respect both.

My gut-feeling is that QGIS has to find a mode in which 'corporate'
influences coexists in a friendly way with the 'ideal(ogy)ists' (or
hobbyists?)...

Current (small) business trying to earn a living on QGIS, would never
have been here without standing on the shoulders of the (mostly?)
idealists from some time ago.

But, this is my personal experience. And one of the reasons I have mixed
feelings about the discussions around 'changing licenses', 'buying
certificates', 'appearing in closed app stores', 'using freemiums' etc
etc etc (and the reason I stepped away from PSC)

I've been thinking about a mixed mode for a long time already. And it is
hard, with not so much successful role models...

In my personal opinion a FOSS project should stay a non corporate
community. The business itself should stay outside of the project (in my
opinion). Individuals from the corporate side off course are welcome!!!
And corporations should be able to make money WITH the project but not
FROM the project; they should *use* not *own* it.

And let me state: I'm a dreamer, one which is maybe a little privileged
because living in a civilized and rich country, so I AM able to dream.
So please, don't be offended by my words, maybe I'm just ignorant...

Anyway: let's stay friendly, we all need each other :-)

(And... QGIS is doing very well!!!)

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde