[Qgis-psc] Use of free software, take #2 and resolutions page:

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sat Apr 11 16:29:23 PDT 2020

Hi Tim,

On Sat, 11. Apr 2020 at 00:09:45 +0100, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Rationale: Free software should be the first choice for all the tools we use.
> We should choose proprietary alternatives only when it is proven that free
> software fails to provide a reasonable solution. The PSC should vote in case
> a proprietary solution is suggested.
>
> With
>
> Proposal: As a matter of policy when deploying software tools to manage the
> QGIS.org project, we should consider licensing, functionality, convenience,
> effort, cost, time, available volunteers, security, privacy, how much effort
> is required to maintain the solution. Given two solutions that appear
> satisfactory with regards to these requirements, one being FOSS and one being
> proprietary, we should  of make use of the FOSS solution in preference to the
> proprietary solution.

> ---

> Please vote here if you are OK with these proposed changes and I will be
> happy to submit a pull request.

-1  I believe the point of the resolution is to emphasize that using free
    software should be the rule and using proprietary software should be an
    exception.

    But I think "it is proven" is too strong as it suggests big effort
    and could be replaced with "we agree".

    All other points and more are IMHO covered by "reasonable solution".

    Also not sure if that mandatory PSC vote is required as that would also
    require voting in case there obviously is no free alternative to some
    proprietary tool we want to use.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode