[Qgis-psc] On using Nextcloud for editing documents

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Apr 12 01:39:00 PDT 2020

Hi,

I tested editing the "environmental policy" draft on Nextcloud in order
to get a better feeling about the usability. I think functionality wise
it would probably ok for our needs, but the lagging is really, really
disturbing and I agree with Tim that hurts productivity substantially.

I wonder what the reason is and if we could do something to improve it?

As I understand it, all of the OSGEO servers are located in the US. I
wonder if this is the reason for the annoying lags. As far as I know all
major internet companies try to have their infrastructure as close as
possible to their customers, when latency is an issue. When it comes to
collaborative editing, keeping the latency and lagging as small as
possible is important for the usability. Having our Nextcloud server
based in the US when all of the PSC members are currently based in
Europe doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I wonder if it would help to have a Nextcloud instance somewhere in
Germany or Middle-Europe? But then again, someone would have to maintain
a piece of infrastructure ... something we would like to avoid.

I believe I saw a hosted Nextcloud service at Hetzner, an option we
could rent, but not having to maintain it ourselves - but I can't find
it. Maybe I was wrong or they retracted it?

Maybe someone knows a good managed Nextcloud service in Europe that we
could try if it makes any difference? Because in the current state I
don't think I would be happy to use it for the QGIS.ORG PSC documents.

Greetings,