[Qgis-psc] Fwd: Re: QGIS-Hub proposal

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Fri Aug 7 09:22:40 PDT 2020

Hi

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 8:41 AM ElPaso <elpaso at itopen.it> wrote:

> I see two options here:
>

> 1. we adopt the new system based on web apps instead of the overly
> complicated git-based resource  sharing
>
> 2. we make the resource sharing plugin easier to use (a create GitHub
> repo/upload features was indeed planned but never done)
>

> Of course we can also endorse/recommend multiple sharing systems, but I
> think it would be a source of confusion for the users and a waste of
> time and resources for the developers.

As one of the people involved in the original resource plugin, I was very
much after what Klas is proposing - a simple XML document by XML document
sharing platform. With Richard and others inputs we went for something much
complex and I fear we missed the opportunity for broad adoption in the
process while catering for more advanced use cases. What about if we just
add another 'mode' to the resource sharing platform that supports simple
sharing of resources as per Klas' implementation? In that mode we could
have it so you simply upload the xml file and preview icon, along with
completing a few fields of metadata. In the future it would be great to
search and add these resources right from in the symbology manager in QGIS.

> Kind regards
>

> --
> Alessandro Pasotti
> w3: www.itopen.it