[Qgis-psc] Can we model fund raising efforts from Blender?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 22:14:29 PDT 2020

Hi PSC,

I've been watching with interest the number of large organisations who
have jumped onboard with regular sponsorship for the Blender project
recently.

They're now up to 100k+ per month (see https://fund.blender.org/),
with some massive contributors like Microsoft, Intel, Google, and
Ubuntu (among many others).

Looking at this list of sponsors, there's a lot there who I suspect
wouldn't directly be benefiting from Blender itself, and are instead
using this as a means of publicly supporting open source instead.

I'm wondering if there's anything we can model off/copy from Blender's
fund raising approach for QGIS. Possibly we could look through their
list of corporate sponsors and approach some of these for QGIS
sponsorship too (e.g. Microsoft*, Intel,. ..)

Nyall

* I'd be surprised if Microsoft staff weren't already using QGIS
internally to some capacity!!