[Qgis-psc] Can we model fund raising efforts from Blender?

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Mon Aug 24 23:03:22 PDT 2020

Hi Nyall,

It is always good to get ideas / leads from other OS projects. Thanks for
sharing this case.

A couple of months ago I approached Google (via Ed Parsons) - but didn't
get a reply, unfortunately. I know that Google employees use QGIS a lot.

If anyone has interesting leads (e.g. within Microsoft of Google), let me
know.

I will also try to approach the blender project to see if they have any
recommendations / suggestions how to approach possible sponsors.

Thanks,

Andreas

On Tue, 25 Aug 2020 at 07:14, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi PSC,
>
> I've been watching with interest the number of large organisations who
> have jumped onboard with regular sponsorship for the Blender project
> recently.
>
> They're now up to 100k+ per month (see https://fund.blender.org/),
> with some massive contributors like Microsoft, Intel, Google, and
> Ubuntu (among many others).
>
> Looking at this list of sponsors, there's a lot there who I suspect
> wouldn't directly be benefiting from Blender itself, and are instead
> using this as a means of publicly supporting open source instead.
>
> I'm wondering if there's anything we can model off/copy from Blender's
> fund raising approach for QGIS. Possibly we could look through their
> list of corporate sponsors and approach some of these for QGIS
> sponsorship too (e.g. Microsoft*, Intel,. ..)
>
> Nyall
>

> * I'd be surprised if Microsoft staff weren't already using QGIS
> internally to some capacity!!

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)