[Qgis-psc] Grant QEP 180 report - Quality Assurance methodology and infrastructure

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 20:46:05 PST 2020

On Tue, 22 Dec 2020 at 14:32, Alexandre Neto <senhor.neto at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 3:59 AM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Wouldn't it be better to avoid the siloed repo entirely and instead
>> include this information in
>> https://docs.qgis.org/3.16/en/docs/developers_guide/index.html ?
>>

> Yes, I agree, once is adopted, the correct place for this documentation is definitely somewhere in erg... documentation :-), either inside developers_guide or in a separated "testing_guide" doc (no strong feelings about it).
> We didn't go that route (yet) because we wanted to see the community buy-in before "polluting" official documentation/repositories, but I can do it right away, if we agree it is the best.

Thanks.

Can you open issue tracking on
https://github.com/qcooperative/qgis-core-tests please?

I'm wondering now what your next planned steps are. E.g.
-  How are you planning on growing the testing user base? Will there
be a media push for users to get involved, or will that be delayed
till after the test suite is expanded?
- Similarly, what's the plan to get the community involved in writing the tests?
- Where does the division sit between writing a test in the plugin vs
just adding a test in Kiwi? I noticed that there's some logic and
pyqgis scripting involved in writing the tests in the plugin, which
would definitely be a barrier of entry for non-developers. Is the
intention that EVERY test in kiwi has a corresponding test in the
plugin? Or could the bulk of the tests be added solely in kiwi (by non
developers) and the plugin left as an optional "nice to have"?
-  Who will be managing this service and pushing for community to run
the test suites prior to releases? Has anyone formally taken on this
responsibility yet?

Thanks for your hard work!
Nyall