[Qgis-psc] Formal request to extend LTR life span to two years

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Feb 6 07:03:26 PST 2020

> Now, I'd like to find out under which circumstances QGIS.ORG would be
> willing to officially support QGIS LTR version for 2 years.

A few thoughts:

One aspect to take into account is how you organize the time for this 2 year
lifespan. Some weeks ago I floated around the idea of having 2 phases in the
LTR: a first phase where rather "aggressive" backports are allowed to be able
to potentially fix design issues in new features, and a second one where just
critical bugfixes are allowed given a risk/advantage assessment: a one-liner
fix to avoid a crashing bug is OK, but a 1000 line code change to fix a
crashing bug in a odd case scenario not. Of course with a number of grey
situations in between... With a 2 year lifespan, anyway this will probably
become more obvious as the difficulty to backport fixes will increase over
time.

There's also a packaging point of view to take into account (thinking to
OSGeo4W in particular). For a 2 year LTR, you likely need to make sure that
the dependencies of the LTR are controlled independently of the ones of QGIS
master. You might want to decide to update one of the dependencies in the LTR
(like upgrading to a new patch release of a dependency), but this must be a
choice, not a mechanical consequence of an upgrade of QGIS master.

Another thought is that some dependencies of QGIS (thinking to GDAL & PROJ)
don't have a 2 year life span for a given release, but more a 1 year one.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com