[Qgis-psc] Formal request to extend LTR life span to two years

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Feb 6 07:24:40 PST 2020

Hi Even and others,

Thanks for your valuable feedback. I agree with the different phases of
an LTR, from being more aggressive with bug fixing to being more
conservative later on.

About the situation with dependencies (gdal, proj, geos): I wonder how
other software packages do that who have a longer supported life span? I
am pretty sure that most commercial GIS software packages offer support
>1 year for. Do they typically freeze the dependencies? And maybe backport critical (e.g. security related) issues when necessary?

Would the gdal / proj / geos projects be open to discuss overlapping
support of the latest versions in their projects? I am talking about
critical issues, not new providers or features.

Of course, as always, I would also be interested in Jürgen's opinion, as
his work would be affected by this decision.

Greetings,

Andreas