[Qgis-psc] Resource Sharing plugin in core?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Tue Feb 18 07:40:11 PST 2020

On 2/18/20 2:46 PM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi Nyall, others,
>
> Il 18/02/20 00:05, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
>
>> Agreed - and also important to note that doing development in
>> qgis/QGIS is MUCH MUCH slower and with a insanely vertical learning
>> curve. The rules for code integration in qgis/QGIS are very very
>> strict, the CI is extremely picky about code styling, spelling,
>> formatting, etc (all for good reason -- we SHOULD be extremely picky
>> about the code which lands in qgis/QGIS). There's a very large barrier
>> for entry for anyone to start contributing to qgis master code, which
>> would apply to the plugin as soon as it's moved into qgis/QGIS. It
>> would actually make development slower, put up more barriers for
>> entry, and will actively discourage community contributions...
> OK, now I see your argument, which makes sense to me. So in short the
> proposal would be to leave Python stuff outside of core, leaving the
> integration at the packaging level. I would add an additional feature:
> defining some of the plugins as default, and require their inclusion in
> the installers. In this way the users will not have any impact (no loss
> of existing functionality), and allow flexible release cycles, while
> keeping the core clean.
> Would this be OK for you?
> An open question would be whether to split bugtrackers as well, or keep
> them as they are now.
> Cheers.

Packaging python plugins into QGIS core also will tie the version and
update management to the main QGIS release cycle and reduce the
possibilities to fix bugs as they appear.

Many organizations hardly ever upgrade QGIS in months whereas plugins
can easily be updated anytime.

Shipping a package as part of QGIS de facto makes it a part of QGIS and
we should apply the hard QGIS Q/A rules on it so we can proudly present
it as an integral part of the application. Something we decided we do
not want here.

I think our best bet is leaving the plugin where it is and advertise it
broadly to make it known.

Matthias