[Qgis-psc] Traveling to the 's-Hertogenbosch

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Jan 11 02:16:31 PST 2020

Hi PSC,

I am back home and feeling better after my surgery. Trying to catch up
with issues and starting to work on closing 2019 financial stuff.

One thing that I would like to discuss is the travel support for the
's-Hertogenbosch meeting.

Can we discuss and decide that we only support ecologically responsible
traveling? I am thinking that contributors that live within the radius
of 1'500km from 's-Hertogenbosch can easily travel by train or can
organize car pools rather than traveling by plane. Even if it costs
more, I think QGIS should rather reimburse a train ticket than an airfare.

Luckily, a nr of european governments (e.g. Germany, Austria) are in the
process of improving the train system and correct the unfair taxation
system for train tickets (train tickets have VAT, air tickets not; train
tickets have a CO2 surcharge on electricity production, air tickets only
just recently but not high enough (which is outraging)), so one can
expect that the train tickets will be slightly cheaper. E.g. Germany
reduced VAT for train tickets starting from January 1 and Austria will
introduce an additional CO2 taxation for plane tickets. These changes
are not enough to change people's behavior, but they are a good start.
Austria is also discussing a new integrated ticket for the whole public
transportation system, similar to the Swiss GA travel card that works
across trains, buses, boats, trams, etc.

Greetings,