[Qgis-psc] Grants 2020 preparation for voting

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Mon Jul 6 08:29:47 PDT 2020

Hi Matthias,

Tomorrow evening is a PSC meeting. I think we should discuss at the meeting
what to do with the two proposals that couldn't make it.

I wouldn't interpret the grant proposal voting as being "against" your
proposal. With these relatively few voting members one vote plus or minus
makes a difference and sometimes it is only a tiny bit of luck or not. This
has nothing to do with the quality of the proposal.

I think neither of the proposals is "sexy" to the end users. And the  rules
of the grant process made sure that "sexy" projects (new features and such)
were not eligible for the grant process. We  should also not blame the
voting members for the outcome - it is just a matter of fact that one or
two of the proposals couldn't make it. I wish we had more funds than we had
grant proposals ...

It is also clear that certain proposals that only target a "minority" of
QGIS  users (such as MacOS, Linux users or QGIS server users) often have a
tough time getting enough votes.

Greetings,
Andreas

Andreas Neumann