[Qgis-psc] Voting for grants

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 03:40:40 PDT 2020

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 19:35, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I would like to suggest is whether we could move towards a
> scoring process that is common in public bids... QGIS.org would define
> criteria that would be scored 0 to 10 and voting members would score
> those criteria separately, for example:
> 1. fit to the grant call - something that looks like a feature if we
> don't want features could be scored low
> 2. value to the project - is this something really important that will
> help lots of users / developers? Or something more obscure that few
> users would benefit from?
> 3. proposal quality - is it clear what would be done and how it would
> be done? Or is the proposal brief and missing important details?
> 4. price - is the expected budget reasonable?
> 5. author's track of record - this could be scored low if the author
> is unknown to the project or it is unclear if they have the right
> skills

I like this concept!

> Or if we skip the criteria, but at least allow voting members to score
> _all_ proposals, each with a single number 0-10 ?

My concern with this would be that it would be easy for people to just
rank everything 8 /9 / 10, cos it all sounds useful! The more in-depth
breakdown of criteria would help guide voters in exactly what factors
they SHOULD be considering, instead of just "oh yeah that sounds
pretty nice: I'll give it 9/10!".

Nyall