[Qgis-psc] QGIS Server (online) Developer Meeting

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sun Jun 14 16:12:52 PDT 2020

Hi

Thanks for raising this Ale.

> On 10 Jun 2020, at 11:38, Alessandro Pasotti <apasotti at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Following the discussion on the dev mailing list
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2020-June/061470.html
>
> we (I launched the idea and Andreas was happy with it) were thinking
> of organizing an online developer meeting targeted at QGIS Server.
>
> The topics should IMO be:
>
> 1. define (and possibly write it down) the QGIS server project goals:
> what kind of product we want to develop (we might well decide that
> what we currently have is all we need)
> 2. discuss the "market share" and the "competitors" (yes: I hate this
> marketing speech but I cannot find any better in english, sorry) and
> what QGIS Server lacks
> 3. how we can make QGIS Server the world conqueror it deserves to be

Sounds good, and I wouldn’t worry about the marketing speech, your intent is clear.

> This is an initial list of potential sub-topics for 2. about what we
> might currently miss:
>
> - vendor features (CQL, CSS)?
> - performances?
> - scalability (includes shared caching)?
> - standard compliance?
> - missing protocols (WPS...)?

For WPS maybe invite 3Liz along as I know they built a WPS server for QGIS once….

> - documentation/examples?
> - ease of deployment/maintenance (includes containers, supported OS etc.)?
> - security auditing?
> - admin panel?
> - programmability (I bet it's not a miss) ?
> - customization (includes templating) ?
> - plain marketing?
>
> Can we call it an official QGIS.org meeting?

Is it worth bringing the web clients into the discussion? For me the two things are somewhat linked in that it is hard to deploy a server instance while rolling out your own web client that properly takes advantage of all the capabilities of QGIS Server.  I know that complicates the discussion so feel free to keep that for another time.

Also metalling and metabuffering are IMHO pain points that require dropping Mappoxy in front of a QGIS server whenever we are doing tiled requests.

> I would need some help with the definition of the program and the
> organization, even if it's online.

Given that the discussion will probably dissolve into people like me above adding Wishlist features it would be good to figure out what the concrete goal of the meeting would be. One idea would be a ranked list of pain points and some kind of costing (maybe taken offline) to take care of the top 3 items in the list.

> What do you think?

+1 from me. Maybe we can keep the organisation simple and have an online meeting on Jitsi / Zoom / whatever at an announced time with an open invitation to the developer list?

For my 2c I am very -1 on the idea raised of getting rid of QGIS server and would rather we use funds to help bring it on par with other servers, at least in terms of configuration management. Having spent the last few months editing SLD files in GeoServer (much as I love GeoServer) I am really conscious of how much more efficient life is when we can design our maps in QGIS and publish them directly without fiddling around in SLDs (or mayflies).