[Qgis-psc] Request for appointing a formal release "traffic controller" role

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:42:04 PDT 2020

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 07:43, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi PSC,
>
> I'd like to raise the notion that qgis.org appoint a formal position
> for a release "traffic controller". This role would be responsible
> for:

Any movement on this? Thinking more about the proposal, I think this
role is CRITICAL in the "landing" stage of a release (e.g. the week
leading up to a release). We need someone (authorised) to make the
hard call on which fixes are suitable for inclusion and which need to
be deferred till post release. (the last week is crucial here --
there's barely any time for fixes to be widely tested, so risk of last
minute regressions is extreme).

I'm doing this now, on a completely unauthorised basis (see eg
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/37044#issuecomment-645662038). And I
expect at some stage someone is going to "fight back" and rightly
question my authority to do this!

Nyall