[Qgis-psc] Follow-up: supporting community members impacted by Covid19

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu May 7 02:43:53 PDT 2020

Hi,

Like Nyall and Vincent I also think that the grant process is not well
suited for such a proposal. For several reasons: we probably don't want
to discuss in the open personal financial situations, but it would be
necessary to do that in order for the voting members to decide. As
stated, it would  be really hard to come up with proper rules, etc.

There is one thing that might work:

As you can see in the budget
(https://www.qgis.org/en/_downloads/QGISBudget2020.pdf), there are
certain tasks that we want to get done as a project, such as:

- improve our website (10k in the budget)
- bug fixing
- documentation

These are the three topics where I think QGIS.ORG could help out a
skilled person who also has time due to fewer contracts within the
COVID-19 crisis.

I still think that we should only do this with proven community members
and people up to the task, in order to use  the QGIS.ORG funds
efficiently. Otherwise, I think it would be a misuse of the funds that
our sustaining members and donors gave us in the assumption we spend the
funds wisely. Many countries, at least most European countries have a
proven welfare system that helps people in the need.

So what I propose is: if one potential contributor would have skills and
times and would like to work for QGIS.ORG in one of the above three
areas, the person should get in contact with one of the PSC members
privately. No need to disclose this in public. We can then see what we
can do to both spend our funds wisely and potentially help an affected
community member. That might work for 1-2 people, but probably not more.

In addition: QGIS is also a network of QGIS companies around the world.
Affected QGIS contributors might want to ask other QGIS companies around
the globe if one of them has open tasks and not enough human resources
to deal with them. We mostly work digitally anyway in our community and
it might be possible to temporarily work for a different QGIS/FOSSGIS
company.

Greetings,

Andreas