[Qgis-psc] Voting for grants

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at oslandia.com
Fri May 29 12:52:50 PDT 2020

Hi Saber,

On 29/05/2020 21:33, Saber Razmjooei wrote:
> Hi Even,
>
> People can vote for other proposals except not from theirs and their
> organisation. Looking through previous years voting, it would be
> better to persuade more active participation especially from QGIS User
> Group. This can be done:
> - Better communicating the proposals and asking them to circulate it
> through their users: blog posts, social media, etc
Yes, for sure this is a good idea. I will try to push more discussion in
France. Do you have statistics of user groups having missed a vote?
> - If they fail to vote on X number of occasions, they will be removed
> as a voting member for Y years/until a formal request....
Well, I gently disagree. The voting culture is different between
countries, but I can't imagine loosing my voting abilities because I
abstained for some years. And we would need to change the QGIS.org
status I think, right?

> Doing so, it will ensure  a more diverse and democratic way of
> selecting proposals.

My opinion is that Even's proposal of having a larger voting member base
should be the right one.

We already have a very biased voting member bias, because most of us are
either self interested, or ultra power users, and we do not necessarily
reflect the massive and silent user base. BTW most of the do not even
know about the democratic nature of QGIS.org. Each time I explain this
to customers, they truly are surprised, and are really delighted to see
how we deal with this. The results are not perfect, but at least we are
building something that gives trust and hope to our contributors and user.

> I understand it will add overhead and more bureaucracy and be happy to
> help if needed.

I would personally prefer  the PSC to be a bit more directive in the
pre-filtering what proposals are really in the priorities for the
goodness of the project.

From what I have seen up to now, this is exactly what the PSC is doing
currently, and I am happy with it this year.

> Kind regards

Take care and keep up the good work!

Régis

> Saber
>

> On Fri, 29 May 2020 at 18:14, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com
> <mailto:even.rouault at spatialys.com>> wrote:
>
>     On vendredi 29 mai 2020 17:46:15 CEST Saber Razmjooei wrote:
>
>     > Dear PSC,
>
>     >

>     > Are there any criteria in-place when voting for grants? I
>     suggest to have a
>
>     > similar approach Marco recommended for handling votes for core
>     members.
>
>     > Specifically, to keep the voting fair and unbiased, it will be
>     good for
>
>     > members of the same organization to abstain from voting for their
>
>     > colleagues' proposal.
>

>     And what about for people with voting rights having themselves
>     submitted one or several proposals: should they refrain from
>     voting at all ? or shouldn't they be able to vote for their own
>     proposals ?
>

>     If I try to find an equivalent outside of QGIS context, here in
>     France we have very small villages (several tens of people at
>     most), and there are still elections to elect the municipal
>     council: nothing prevent the candidates from voting for themselves
>     and their co-listers. Actually, if they didn't, there would be
>     very few votes!
>

>     The only solution to limit bias would be to extend significantly
>     the size of the voting body, so that people voting for their own
>     proposal or their colleagues' has no significant impact.
>

>     Actually, preventing people from an organization to vote for their
>     colleagues' proposal could introduce bias. If that proposal is "in
>     a objective way" a good one, not being able to vote for it and
>     being obliged to select "inferior" proposals could cause a
>     undesired bias in the results, given the modest size of the voting
>     body.
>

>     I'd say keep the rules simple and trust people good judgmenent.
>

>     Even
>

>     --
>
>     Spatialys - Geospatial professional services
>
>     http://www.spatialys.com
>

> --
> Saber Razmjooei
> www.lutraconsulting.co.uk <http://www.lutraconsulting.co.uk>
> +44 (0)7568 129733

Open Source GIS Expert / Water management

mail: regis.haubourg at oslandia.com
tél: 0033 184 257 870
http://oslandia.com/

OSLANDIA IS AN INNOVATIVE COMPANY SPECIALIZED IN GIS ARCHITECTURE. WE
PROVIDE SERVICE ON OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE FOR WHICH WE ARE EDITORS OR
RECOGNIZED EXPERTS.