[Qgis-psc] Handling the Travis CI situation

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Nov 6 02:11:48 PST 2020

On Fri, Nov 06, 2020 at 05:07:40PM +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> - different Qt versions on Github vs Travis
> - different underlying library versions (e.g. updated proj, gdal, and
> others vs the older Travis build environment)
> -  other differences in the build setup, e.g. different limits on the
> environment under which the tests run
>
> Before we can make the switch and move away from Travis, we'll need to
> update these tests and get as many of them passing as possible on
> Github, and then handle the tricky job of backporting the test fixes
> and Github action setup to the 3.16/3.10 branches.

I'd recommend changing the tests to return success results with BOTH
versions of Qt, proj, gdal etc. The goal would be making the testsuite
pass on _developers_ machines, whatever libraries they are using.

The CI-centric nature of QGIS testsuite has always been a problem for
me as it makes it impossible to check the quality of changes locally.

There are likely existing tickets addressing these issues.
A 'testsuite' label exists. I'm not sure all the relevant tickets
have the label applied, but it could be a good starting point:

  https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Atestsuite

--strk;