[Qgis-psc] (QGIS 2020 Grant Report) QGIS Server and performance monitoring

Andreas Neumann andreas at qgis.org
Thu Nov 12 23:31:49 PST 2020

Hi,

This is actually the funny thing. In the benchmarks that Marco B. did for
my employer, QGIS 3 was consistently slower in vector rendering, while in
Pauls tests it is the opposite.

Paul: can you clarify if you tested "sequentially" without parallel
requests? To me, if I interpret it correctly, this seems to be the case
here. Are you doing 20 subsequent, sequential, requests?

In the Solothurn benchmarks that Marco did, we almost always did parallel
requests - and we found out that the threaded rendering slows down
rendering if you have a lot of parallel requests, whereas, if you have no
or only 2-3 parallel requests, the threaded rendering is faster. In
general, in reality we often have 5-15 parallel requests in our
organization in Solothurn.

The other differences in Paul's and the Solothurn benchmarks is the size of
the requested images. In Paul's tests, the image sizes (width and height in
pixels) is usually quite small, but in reality we often have much larger
image requests (usually between 1000 and 2000 pixels in case of GetPrint
even higher. That is also one of the differences that need examination.

Greetings,
Andreas

Andreas Neumann
QGIS.ORG board member (treasurer)